The kitchen has evolved significantly over the years, and new advancements in technology and materials continue to push the space into new territories. Frameless cabinets, horizontal lines and lack of ornamentation top the list of what defines modern kitchen style.
8 elements that you will find in a modern kitchen.
- Flat panel doors. This is a signature element of modern kitchen design. This creates a sleek look which is what the modern design is all about.
- Frameless cabinet construction. All this means is that the door overlays the cabinet box. So when you look at the cabinet, all you see are the doors, the cabinet box is not visible which is the case in many traditional kitchens. Using these cabinets also allows you to have the exact same spacing between all cabinets and drawers.
- Sleek and simple hardware. In most modern kitchens you will find hardware that’s integrated into the cabinets, as well as tubular handles and flat linear handles. The horizontal lines of the cabinets are usually accentuated by the hardware which often runs the length of the cabinet doors and drawers.
- Lack of ornamentation. In a modern kitchen you won’t see patterned tiles, different shapes or multiple materials and textures. The splashback is often glass to tie in with the sleek look.
- Natural beauty. While the typical modern kitchen lacks ornamentation in the way of patterns and shapes, there is often a little ornamentation through natural materials. The horizontal grain of oak or the veining of marble can often be found to add some variety to the kitchen.
- Use of horizontal lines. It may not be obvious at first, but when you look more closely at a modern kitchen you will see that they usually tend towards the use of horizontal lines. Whether it’s drawers in a row, handles or grooves, they usually are placed in a line horizontally.
- Accent pieces. In a modern kitchen, all of the accent pieces such as bar stools, lighting, chairs and tables, will stay consistent, unlike an eclectic kitchen where all of these accent pieces may vary.
Industrial elements. There are many industrial elements that can be found in modern kitchens. Things such as concrete walls, floors or benchtops can really complete the look in a modern kitchen.